Creative process

At the start of the autumn semester 2015, we worked with methods and process. The goal was to test new methods when working with ideas and process, and challenge ourselves to take different and unexpected paths. I worked with drawing through free association, and setting up both controlled and randomized boundaries to pull the process in different directions. It was fun and resulted in a two-sided poster/drawing and some gift cards. At the end of the semester we had a Christmas market at school, where I had printed these among other stuff to sell.

Do-it-yourself

 I had two weeks at school where I could define a project I wanted to work on. I decided to continue on a comic-concept (Musmo) I’ve started earlier. What I wanted to do, was rethink how to solve the storytelling and the visual style.

I did a lot of research and writing. Some character and environment sketches. I also made a hypothetical panel from the introduction story where I tested digital colouring versus watercolour. The digital is not finished, but still I feel the watercolour is the one I want to go for. There still are a couple of things I want to test further, like linework, but at least I’m a step further.

This rethinking also means that the first drawn pages I’ve made earlier, will not be used. I won’t start drawing before I feel the essential ground work is finished. Also the project has become more manageable, because I decided to split the story up into smaller parts.

Moodboard:

moodboard2

Will she kill someone with that knife?

tøffa9tøffa6

tøffa7tøffa3

I have been planning on making a series of drawings of girls on different kinds of adventures (mostly the dangerous kind). I’ve had some sketches and ideas waiting for me for some time. These are the beginning of one. I think I’m finished drawing the girl, but I’ve not made up her story yet, so the surroundings will come later.

“Homemade” watercolour texture for background…the rest is digital drawing with Intous4 in Photoshop.

The Forest Mouse

And now my watch is ended…

…at Einar Granum School of Art. Thanks to all the wonderful students and teachers for two great years! When autumn comes I’ll take my stuff and move to Bergen. It’s time for a new chapter  of my life: Bergen Academy of Art and Design.

Semester assignment 2014

Installation consisting of books, cut book pages and drawings (pen and watercolour)

 

To be, or not to be finished

Sometimes it’s very difficult to know when something is finished, and to stop before you do too much.

I’ve been working on an illustration task for an application to a school. The task is to illustrate your room.

The plan was to have text drawn on the roots, but now I feel that I shouldn’t, because it won’t look good. Still, I want to use the text  too. I guess I’ll scan it as it is, and try apply the text digitally, to see if it works. Don’t want to ruin it.

IMG_8282

IMG_8283

 

 

 

Snyltesoppen

Scan-140224-0007red Scan-140224-0008red

A follow up on the mushroom project I had before Christmas.

I ended up with two editions of this picture, because the pen i drew the first one with wasn’t waterproof (I found out after I was finished). I wanted to use watercolour, so I drew one more. I used ink and dip pen, which gives nice and organic lines. I also got to correct the mistakes I did on the first one. Plus, I had a kozy time with the colouring, joined together with classmates: pizza, beer, music, talking, drawing and watching wierd stuff on youtube. It was a win win situation.