Stuff from sketchbook that has gone through some transformation and colouration in Photoshop.
I worked on a tabletop game during an Interaction Design course this semester. It’s about how we keep and reveal secrets. There was an actual exhibition we were going to apply for: Secrecy at The Science Gallery in Dublin. My game was not selected for the exhibition, but it came pretty far in the evaluation it seemed, so that’s fun.
The first design for the game cards:
The second design for the game cards + z-folder explaining the game and rules:
I got to test the game on some friends. It gave me a better idea of what to be worked on if I am to develop the game further.
Spill the Beans is a card game dealing with psychological and social aspects of secrecy. To win, the players must get 10 beans by keeping their own secrets while trying to reveal other players secrets. The game starts by picking a Secret-card, which provides an instruction to all the players on what kind of secret each player will write down. Using their own secrets increases their emotional involvement. Action-cards, kept on each players hand, are used for playing out the game. The five types of action-cards reflect how we keep and reveal secrets. For example the Pressure-cards, which are placed on other players to make them “spill the beans”, may for example reflect situations of peer pressure or psychological pressure. With enough pressure cards, a player must reveal his secret and give a bean to the last person who pressured him. How the players choose to play these cards point, in a playful manner, towards psychological and social mechanisms at work in the interaction.
I started yet another project, oh yes I did! This time a teeming picture book/wimmelbook for children ages 3 -6 years.
The theme is the dwellings/lives of norwegian forest animals. I kind of draw on the fairy tale genre as well as using actual facts about the animals in my presentation of them. I’ve picked out 10 animals, that I’ll present within four pages for each animal.
During the two weeks I’ve developed the concept and made some rough sketches. I was thinking maybe I could do both the hare-family and the common chaffinch, but things tend to take time, so I just got to do the hares.
Made some graphic stuff for http://sosiologen.no/
…which is a newly started web site for “everything”-sociological.
The logo and cover for promoting the web site on Facebook and Twitter. The blue ones are for each local sociology association in different parts of Norway.
Course: “Visual storytelling”
Task: To make a graphic short story of Raymond Carvers short story Whoever was using this bed.
Double A5 pages
Theres a coulpe of things that needs to be fixed and tried out before I’m satisfied, but it felt good to be (almost) finished with something during a course.
I had two weeks at school where I could define a project I wanted to work on. I decided to continue on a comic-concept (Musmo) I’ve started earlier. What I wanted to do, was rethink how to solve the storytelling and the visual style.
I did a lot of research and writing. Some character and environment sketches. I also made a hypothetical panel from the introduction story where I tested digital colouring versus watercolour. The digital is not finished, but still I feel the watercolour is the one I want to go for. There still are a couple of things I want to test further, like linework, but at least I’m a step further.
This rethinking also means that the first drawn pages I’ve made earlier, will not be used. I won’t start drawing before I feel the essential ground work is finished. Also the project has become more manageable, because I decided to split the story up into smaller parts.
At the end of the typography course earlier this semester, we (my class) were given the assignment of making a poster each for Bergen Art Book Fair. We got three prints of our own posters to put up where we felt like in the city.
It was actually the first time I made a poster, and I was really frustrated and low on self-esteem during the process. In the end I thought I had to approach the task in my own way, and not think about how everybody else was doing it and what was “correct”. I thought it better to fail and learn something from it. Afterwards I’ve thought of different ways I could have solved the task, but I guess it come out as bad as I felt during the process.
Acrylic paint used to make the splatter-texture. Paper textures. Used Photoshop to do the lettering, and the text and logos in Indesign.